COMPANIES RELATED TO BUFFALO PITTS
Buffalo Springfield Steamroller Company
Click HERE for an article from Engineers and Engines Magazine on the History Of The Buffalo-Springfield Company (pages 3 through 11 of the July/August, 1971 Issue). For reading this article, it's best to click on "View Full-Size Image," read that page, use the "Back" button on your browser to return to the index page, click on "Next" for the next page of the article, then repeat the previous steps over and over to read as much as you wish to.
Or, we offer this SAME article in PDF format immediately below. This may be easier to view, but the scans were reduced in size to allow the full-size file to be easily downloaded by website users, so the pages are a bit "fuzzy." In the future, the webmaster hopes to "OCR" this article (i.e., convert it from scanned images to a file with text which would take up less space and be easier to read).
Below are scans of two postcards owned by the webmaster. The top card is a Buffalo Steamroller Company machine (Buffalo Steamroller Company was a subsidiary of Buffalo Pitts, and BSC later merged with Kelly-Springfield Company to form the famous Buffalo-Springfield Company of Springfield, Ohio USA). The second card features a Buffalo-Springfield steamroller. What beautiful machines!
COMPANIES IN BUFFALO & WESTERN NEW YORK USA
Companies That Produced Tractors & Steamrollers in WNY
- Hession Tiller and Tractor Corp., Buffalo, NY - tractor & agricultural equipment (a.k.a. Wheat, Matthews)
- Iroquois Iron Works, Buffalo, NY - steamrollers
- Waterous Company, Brantford, Ontario Canada - steam tractors and steamrollers
- Birdsall Engine Company, Auburn, NY - tractors and steamrollers
- Many more will be added when this sub-section is converted to a web page including; Buffalo Tractor & Truck Corporation (Buffalo & Clarence, NY); Gasport Motor Company (Gasport, NY), etc.
Companies That Produced Trucks & Truck Bodies in WNY
- Stewart Motor Corp., Buffalo, NY - trucks and truck bodies
- Buffalo Pitts - steam trucks (rare); truck bodies (just before bankruptcy)
- Many more will be added when this sub-section is converted to a web page including: Buffalo, Iroquois, Pierce-Arrow, Young Fire Equipment Corp. (Lancaster), American (Lockport), etc.
Companies That Produced Automobiles in Western NY
Wow, where to begin? Pierce-Arrow, Thomas (as in the famous Thomas Flyer), Atterbury, Auto Car, Babcock Electric, Bird, Bison, Bowen, Buffalo, Centaur, Chevrolet (cars were made from 1923 to the start of WWII in the Delavan Street factory that's now the American Axle plant), King, Playboy (the inspiration for the name of a certain soft-porn magazine, really!), Red Jacket, Stewart, etc.
Again, this section will become a dedicated web page and then will be expanded. BUT, until then here's a small book from 1969 that's got stories about the manufacturers of bicycles, cars, etc. in Western New York USA (document below).
Companies That Produced Motorcycles Locally
Did you know that right here in Western NY, specifically Angola, we had one of the premier motorcycle manufacturers in the world? Did you? They were bigger and better than that "other" company that made motorcycles... what was their name again? Oh, I'll remember it eventually (Harvey something, maybe?).
Anyway, right here in Angola was Emblem Motorcycles. Just one company, you ask? No! We also had Pierce Motorcycles of Buffalo (which later had financial difficulties and was bought out by Emblem). And if you're wondering if this "Pierce" is somehow associated with the great automobile manufacturer Pierce-Arrow, you're right! And like Pierce-Arrow cars, Pierce motorcycles were top of the line, with power to spare. Would you believe that Pierce produced the first American four-cylinder motorcycle?
Once again, 100 years ago, Western NY lead the world in manufacturing. This section will also become a dedicated web page and then will be expanded.